Tuesday 13 August 2013

Appointment with nurse - feeling reassured :)








Having spoken to Caroline (the nurse who I saw at my second wound appointment) over the phone on Thursday, about the weeping from the wound on my right breast, I went in to see her today. 

Over the weekend my left breast has also been weeping - on and off - from the same place (where the vertical scar meets areola scar). 

Caroline examined me this afternoon and said all is well: no sign of infection.

She said the point where I am experiencing the weeping is a weak point on the suture lines and that what I am experiencing is just delayed healing. She looked at my wounds and said she suspected I was not reacting very well to the dissolvable thread used to create the suture line (internal stitches) and that I was healing more slowly as a result. 

She also explained the reason the skin on my breasts is so dry, and flaky, is down to the post-op swelling having stretched the skin and resulted in dehydration after the swelling subsided.

Once the scabs have all fallen off the suture lines I can begin massaging the scars to improve their appearance. They are still feeling much too sore for me to relish that thought at the moment though!








No comments:

Post a Comment